Sunday, June 25, 2006

Observant Musing - Eros Ramazzotti

I first fell in love with Eros Ramazzotti when I traveled through Europe as a 21 year old. (Love/lust? Whichever you want to call it is fine.)
When I first saw him, I was watching European MTV. His video came on for Se Bastasse una Canzone. If I remember correctly, it was done in sepia tone. I was absolutely taken with the man, his words and the melody, even though I understood not a word of Italian at the time. I immediately went out and bought “In Ogni Senso”. I wore the cassette out listening to it. (I have since replaced it with a CD).

One time I was in a train station in Bologna, and a man with a guitar came up to me, and asked me what he could play for me (someone translated this for me). Having only 1 song on my mind at the time I told him “Se Bastasse una Canzone”. He was so surprised that I knew Italian music, he sang that song with heart, and the whole platform applauded when he finished. He then kissed my hand and I boarded the train.

Truth be told, I fell in love with many Italians as I traveled through Italy (and in large part why I hope to make my home there one day! LOL, but very serious). Ah, Dominico, who is about 7 ft. tall with long gorgeous hair that he wore in a ponytail, braids, and all manner of other styles. I met him on the Ponte de Vechio Bridge. He was hip, he was exciting, he was very passionate and cool, and spoke nary a word of English. Then there was Giacomo with the jet black hair, and crystal blue eyes. He had the most beautiful smile and olive skin ever! His eyes gave meaning to the word “Piercing”. He gave me free room and board on a ferry that he worked on. I could have stayed on that ship and sailed the Mediterranean with him forever. Then there was Antonio. Antonio translated the lyrics to Eros’ songs for me in broken English. He was so loving and kind, so very adventurous.

But back to Eros. He has gotten finer with time, and so have the memories that he has been the soundtrack for. Now, he has added salt to his pepper hair, but the voice, the meaning of his songs, the way he looks, the way he writes and sings of love, and politics, and human emotion, and justice (did I mention the way he looks?) are as timeless as love itself. How did his parents know when they named him Eros?

I think that he sealed the deal for me with the song Piu Bella Cosa. As Antonio explained it to me, in Piu Bella Cosa he sings of a woman, and that there is nothing more beautiful than she. But the line that really clinches it for me is when he says “Thank you for existing.”

I don’t know if those are his actual words, but that was the way Antonio could explain them to me, and therefore, I don’t want to find out any differently (so don’t tell me if it ain’t so). Isn’t it just so beautiful that someone can thank someone for existing?

So many times, we get wrapped up in what our lives are like because someone is in our life when we don’t want them to be, or has affected our life in a way that we didn’t want them to. Sometimes, and it probably happens more than we give it credit for, there are people in our lives that we have to thank for existing, and for being a part of it. For, what would our life like be like had they not existed? What would the world be like?

This entry is for Eros Ramazzotti, (who doesn’t know me and who I don’t know -but wish I did!) for existing, because sometimes one beautiful song is enough to remind us that there are people in our lives that we should thank God that they exist.


Copyright 2006

2 Comments:

Blogger Evie said...

Dear Naylene,

Hello from Greece! I definately share the same thoughts with you... I think Eros Ramazzotti is amazing, no day passes by without listening to some of his songs. Everything on him is marvellous.

What I am especially fond of is the concerts he gives! When he came to Athens some years ago I was feeling that I was in a different world. Everything was magic.

Eros Ramazzotti was for me the main reason for learning italian; I just wanted to understand and feel his songs' touching lyrics! And now that I know italian quite well, I start discovering other italian artists too, like Adriano Celentano or Biaggio Atonacci...every single italian artist is unique.


I have yesterday opened a blog about italian music
Every day I am going to post the lyrics of an italian song I like, along with its translation

Take care of you, bye bye

5:31 PM  
Blogger Naylene said...

Dear Evie,
Thank you for your comments! You sound like you live a fabulous life along the Agegean and Mediterranean Seas, and know very well how to make Eros R. and others the soundtrack for it! I'm jealous that you have gotten to see him in concert, something I wish to do, but have not yet been able to. Someday, when I return to the country I hope to do so. I never seem to catch him when he tours the states-darn it! I studied Italian for a while myself, but have not mastered it. But, that is what is nice about music in general, you don't necessarily have to understand what is being said to feel the emotion, and passion-especially his. Although, I must say, I would love to understand his sweet words better, and up very, very close ;o).
As well, you get to live in Hellos (Greece)! How excellent! I have spent many passion filled nights there too. You lucky girl!!!!!
I will check out your site, to catch up to speed on some of the artists you mentioned. A girl can never have too many handsome crooners to make her swoon, now can she?
Ciao Bella!-Naylene

6:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 2.5 License. No part(s) of the stories contained within this blog may be redistributed commercially without prior written authorization from the author.