Friday, January 20, 2006

O.M. The Diary of a Bad Black Woman -Day 4

Day 4, Thursday Morning: Time is a Wasting

It was the last day of conference sessions. I was standing in the hallway waiting for mine to begin when a guy named C.B. walked up to me. He asked me why I looked like I was ready to give someone a beat-down? I said “What?! I do not look like that!” He said, ‘Yep, Yes you do.” I said, “Well I didn’t mean to look like that. I’m just standing here people watching and having a good time, thinking I was looking fly. I don’t want to beat anyone down.” We started laughing and he then pulled out his card, and said “Nice to meet you. My name is C.B. I’m a hope dealer.” I looked at his card, and it seems that he runs programs for disadvantaged youth-giving them hope for a brighter tomorrow. I gave him my card, we exchange a few more niceties and he went on his way. After the session, there was a lunch session, and then 1 more afternoon session.

Cuban Cigar had text me earlier, asking me if I wanted to meet him for lunch. I said. “Yes, of course”. At the appointed time, I went into the ballroom to wait by the doors for him. While I was waiting, 3D came up to me to say hello. I asked him if he had managed to find anything to get into last night. He said he hadn’t, and asked me why I thought it was so hard for him. He said that I was the only one that had even shown some friendliness toward him (Yeah, right!). I said "Maybe it’s because you have a dangerous look on your face."

Then I went on to explain what C.B. had told me. 3D said “You don’t look like that to me.” I said “Thank you. Because I’m really a lover, not a fighter.” He licked his lips. “How does one know if someone is looking at him in the hallway?” He asked, referring back to our elevator chat. I said “Well, if you just passed that person, and you see them not 3 seconds later, then that person is probably taking a second look.” “Oh, is that how it works?” He asked. I said, “Well, it worked for me.” He said, “Yeah, but you are all booked, up. You couldn’t do anything last night. Then tonight you said you were having a friend come over, and I assume it’s a man?” I said “You know, this was an unusual circumstance.” Before I could go on, I’d received a text from Cuban Cigar, telling me that he was waiting over by the deli. I wanted to wrap up this conversation to go meet him. I didn’t want to waste a minute of time that I could spend with Cuban Cigar.

I took out my business card to give to 3D and said that if he ever found himself in my state, he could give me a call. Just as I was handing my card to him, in walked Cuban Cigar. I introduced the gentlemen to each other, and then Cuban Cigar and I left to find seats. We decided that after lunch we would go for a stroll through D.C., (until FSG arrived). I was not sorry that FSG would be arriving (Spending time with him is a rarity, and I love it), but I was sorry that I couldn’t spend more time with Cuban Cigar. I think he felt the same, given the message he would leave me the next day.

...to be continued

Copyright 2006

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 2.5 License. No part(s) of the stories contained within this blog may be redistributed commercially without prior written authorization from the author.